Soma School is a gospel-centered, missional ecclesiology immersion experience which exists to see pastors, planters, and leaders thoroughly gripped by the gospel. Soma School is a combination of white-board theology sessions, personal processing, and immersion within the life of a missional community in context.
The Soma School experience is about total immersion in the gospel, including interactive classroom training, life-on-life discipleship, missional service, and Sunday gathering. This training is experienced in the context of living with Soma families, partnering with existing missional communities, and practicing leadership while serving the city with a missional heart.
We believe God is calling and preparing many pastors, church planters, and other leaders to bring about gospel saturation in their communities. After spending four to five days immersed in a Soma church and working through our ecclesiology, we hope that participants leave more in love with Jesus, more convinced of the power of the gospel, and better equipped to lead disciple-making missional communities in the everyday.
Soma School occurs over four days, with an optional fifth day available in some locations, for those in or pursuing church-wide leadership.
In order to lay a foundation for our time together, all participants must complete the requirements below before arriving:
Choose ONE out of these three:
- Read Saturate by Jeff Vanderstelt -OR-
- Attend a Saturate EveryDay event -OR-
- Work through the Saturate Field Guide by Jeff Vanderstelt and Ben Connelly.
AND ONE out of these three:
- Read Gospel Fluency by Jeff Vanderstelt -OR-
- Attend a Saturate Gospel Fluency event -OR-
- Work through the Gospel Fluency Handbook by Jeff Vanderstelt and Ben Connelly.
Some of what you will learn and experience while you are with us:
- The Story of God: You will see the Bible and the redemptive, restorative work of God as you discover the gospel at work throughout the whole biblical narrative. You will also learn how to communicate and teach in dialogical methods.
- Identity & Rhythms: What is the Church? How should we live? Soma churches are formed around the gospel, our new identity in Jesus, and the rhythms in which He and His followers lived. We will dig deep into these realities.
- Building a Missional Community: We will discuss how we live in communities of people who are united around a common mission, and how these communities are local expressions of Jesus and His Church in the world, who live out the gospel in all ways.
- Gatherings: You will gather with the Soma family in missional communities and larger gatherings, and spend time just being with us in community.
- Gospel Fluency: Soma School is as much about what God wants to do in you through the power of the gospel as it is about equipping you to lead a church of missional communities. We press into gospel practices so you experience them personally, even as you are being equipped to develop others in the gospel.
APPLICATION & REGISTRATION
Since we’re opening up our lives to share what we’re learning, not putting on a conference, space is limited. To steward these limited resources well, our goal is to see Soma School be very effective for equipping church planters and pastors toward leading churches that make disciples in missional communities in the everyday. Ideal applicants are lead planters or lead pastors who bring along with them one or two key leaders (three max from one church team).
After we review your application, we’ll email you registration instructions. Note that spouses must apply separately.
Please apply only if you can make it for 100% of Soma School.
The cost is $500 per person, including a $150 deposit. If you bring a spouse, add only $250 more. Deposits are non-refundable if you cancel within 90 days of the start of Soma School.